20-YEAR REUNION OF A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 -- at Xavier High School
Xavier Alumni Night 2015... a night to honor the 1995 WISAA State Champion Xavier Hawks Boys Basketball Team, which was then coached by Bob Biebel.
XHS played St. Mary Central that evening in the Torchy Clark Gymat Xavier, and XHS won on a last-second shot, 72-71.
Pictured above is the center court circle at the MECCA, the site of the 1995 WISAA Boys Basketball State Championship won by Xavier under the leadership of Biebel. He was the head coach and business teacher at Xavier as well as the system's Business Manager from 1987 to 1997; his overall record 179 - 66 (that's 73% over a TEN year period). In addition to the State Championship, Biebel and his Xavier teams:
* were WISAA State Runner-up twice (in 1996 and 1997),
* won five F.V.C.C Conference Championships (1997, 1996, 1994, 1992, 1989),
* he was a five time F.V.C.C. Coach of the Year (1997, 1996, 1994, 1992, 1989),
* won eight Regional or Sectional titles (1991- 1997, 1988) and
* finished with three undefeated conference seasons (1997, 1996, 1994).
The 1995 Xavier team was led by seniors Jason Van Hoof, Brian Van Lanen, Jim Zuleger and Dan Wallace, and, they D'd up the WISAA field, and dominated Catholic Memorial 59-40 in the finals.
Ahh... Memories of the Hawk Walk to the Arena, 32 minutes for 32 years (it had been 32 years since Xavier's only other State B-ball title when Coach Biebel asked his team to play hard for 32 minutes), and much more... all remembered when the XHS team was honored on Jan. 31 at Xavier -- 20 years after their journey to downtown Milwaukee for the state tourney and their return to Appleton as STATE CHAMPS!